In 1925, Helen Keller challenged Lions to become “knights of the blind in the crusade against darkness.” The Lions accepted. Today, sight programs remain one of our defining causes.
The Lions Club International Foundation promotes programs for the blind and the vision impaired (who often cannot afford even minimum care). The New Braunfels Evening Lions Club participates in virtually every one.
Area residents may contact the New Braunfels Evening Lions through the Contact Us feature on our website to ask for information about these programs, and about recycling used eye glasses or about financial assistance to pay for eye glasses or eye exams.
- Recycle of Eyeglasses Used eyeglasses are collected and serviced for reuse. They are distributed worldwide to benefit those who have a need. Locally, collection boxes are available at the following locations for residents to donate used eyeglasses that they can no longer use.
Hill Country Eye Associates at 1929 West, TX-46 Suite 103, New Braunfels, TX 78132
Office of Dr. Henry Hull, 147 Fredericksburg Rd, New Braunfels, TX 78130
The collected used eyeglasses are shipped to the Lions eye glass recycling center in Texas for sorting and servicing so that they can then be provided for reuse.
- Texas Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center The center in Midland, Texas is one of thirteen such recycling centers world-wide.
- SightFirst A program of Lions Clubs International delivering eye health care at no cost to the recipients. Vision professionals donate their time and skill. The collected discarded eyeglasses are sorted and reused. Fund-raising by clubs everywhere, like the New Braunfels Lions Clubs, and philanthropic donations fund these activities.
- The Miracles in Sight – Lone Star Division collects, preserves and distributes eye tissue.
- Vision Screening Select volunteer Lions train in eye screening technique for young children. They perform state-mandated vision tests for the 5- and 6-year olds entering area schools each fall. Uncertified members and friends provide support and assistance.
- Financial Assistance The New Braunfels Evening Lions work with the Family Life Center to verify the need for financial assistance. Those requesting financial assistance for eye glasses or eye exams will need to apply in person with the Family Life Center.
5513 S IH 35
New Braunfels, Texas 78132
Once approved for financial assistance, the New Braunfels Evening Lions will coordinate for payment at a selected local eye glass business or local optometrist.
Contributions provided by the Lions Club to its many community projects are generated solely via the Club’s fund-raising projects, which are manned by its energetic, dedicated volunteer members. Many thanks to the people of New Braunfels for their generous support.